In 1924, Stanley F. Learned began his 43-year career with Phillips Petroleum Company (Bartlesville, Oklahoma). He was appointed chairman of the company’s corporate operating committee in 1944, and was named vice president of the company in 1949. Learned then became president of Phillips Petroleum Company in 1962 and its chief executive officer in 1964. He led the oil and natural gas company’s expansion to Puerto Rico which was instrumental in Phillips Petroleum becoming one of the nation’s leading international oil companies. He retired from in 1967, but remained on its board of directors until 1970.
In 1971, Learned was awarded the Gas Processors Association’s prestigious Hanlon Award. For his extraordinary service to the University of Kansas, he earned additional honors, including the University Alumni Association’s 1959 Distinguished Service Citation, and its 1975 Fred Ellsworth Medallion for outstanding service. The University’s School of Engineering awarded him its Distinguished Service Award in 1980, and in 1988 awarded him its first life membership in the School. Learned Hall, home of the School of Engineering, was named in his honor in 1966.