Frank J. Prout was third president of Bowling Green State University (1939-1951). He taught at Ohio Wesleyan and Zanesville High School until 1914 when he became principal of Chillicothe High School.
Widely respected in the academic community, he received honorary degrees from Ohio University (1919), Ohio Wesleyan University (1924), Miami University (1951), and Bowling Green State University (1952).
During his twelve-year term as president, he guided the campus through the difficult years of the Second World War and oversaw the development of BGSU as it changed from a teachers’ college to a university. Dr. Prout gained a reputation for getting things done and was popular among both faculty and students. Many felt he brought a personal touch to the office of president.