Walter Merritt Riggs was the president of Clemson University from 1910 to 1924 and the “father of Clemson football” coaching the first football team for what was then Clemson College.
Riggs graduated from the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama (now Auburn University) with a Bachelor of Science in engineering in 1892 and was a member of Auburn’s first football team. He was also president of his class and director of the glee club while at Auburn.
Riggs was the second president of the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association, taking over for William Lofland Dudley in 1912. Riggs Hall, which is the home of Clemson’s College of Engineering and Science, is named in his honor.