Constitution Adopted, Replaces Original Articles of Union1880
One of the most important conventions ever held was in October 1880, in Indianapolis. This convention was the largest assembly held to-date by a fraternity, with twenty-eight chapter delegates and around 120 alumni members. At this convention, Walter B. Palmer and George Banta brought proposals for a new constitution to replace the informal Articles of Union, which were created in 1848.
Palmer and Banta believed the Articles of Union were inadequate, and that the Fraternity needed more uniformed rituals and overall organization. The convention adopted the revised constitution, and subsequently, the Grand Chapter was dissolved. The Executive Committee transformed into the new General Council, which had executive authority between conventions. The General Council was made up of an elected board, including a president, secretary, treasurer, and historian.