The Oxford Trophy was first presented in 2019 at Kleberg Emerging Leaders Institute in Oxford, Ohio, to commemorate the birthplace of our Fraternity and home of our General Headquarters. Formerly the Harvard Trophy, this award dates back to 1924 and recognizes the most outstanding Phi Delta Theta chapter at a large institution of over 20,000 students.
The Founders Trophy
The Founders Trophy was donated by Judge William R. Bayes, Ohio Wesleyan ’01, in 1929 and is awarded to the most outstanding Phi Delta Theta chapter at a medium-sized institution.
Kansas City Trophy
The Kansas City Trophy was first presented in 1929 and was originally sponsored by the Cleveland Alumni Club. In 1958, sponsorship was taken over by the Kansas City Alumni Club. The trophy is awarded to the most outstanding Phi Delta Theta chapter at a small institution.
The George E. Housser Trophy is awarded annually to the top Canadian chapter demonstrating all-around excellence in internal management and chapter operations, campus leadership, and campus participation. The trophy (a Canadian Inuit carving called the Bird Man) was originally presented by the Vancouver Alumni Club, and later rededicated by several Canadian Brothers in 1992 in honor of the late George E. Housser (McGill ’06), President of the General Council from 1950 – 52.
The Valley of the Sun Alumni Club created the Phoenix Award in 2002 to recognize a chapter that has shown dramatic improvement over the course of one academic year. The award was named after the mythological bird that periodically regenerated itself which is used in literature as a symbol of death and resurrection.
Legion of Honor
The Legion of Honor Award was established in 1978 to recognize a member of Phi Delta Theta who has made a major contribution of his time, effort, and energy to serve the Fraternity and improve its stature; has distinguished himself in representing the Fraternity’s principles of friendship, sound learning and rectitude; is widely recognized as a leader of fraternity men and identified with the promotion of fraternities; and has widely advanced and enlarged the opportunities for growth and leadership among college men through fraternities.
Legion of Merit
The Legion of Merit Award honors those outstanding members of Phi Delta Theta who have made a lifelong commitment to the service of Phi Delta Theta. The recipients of this award are not only living testimony that Phi Delta Theta is a “Fraternity for Life,” but they are also the men who give this phrase meaning for so many Phis.
Nance Millett Free Enterprise Award
The Nance-Millett Award was given to the Fraternity in 1980 by James J. Nance, Ohio Wesleyan ‘23, and John D. Millett, DePauw ‘33. It is presented every other year to an individual who has made an outstanding contribution to the free enterprise system. The candidate will preferably be a member of Phi Delta Theta, but membership is not a prerequisite. The recipient is invited to address a session of the General Convention, at which time the award is presented. Nominations may be submitted to the General Headquarters, and selections made by the General Council.
General John Kerry “J.K.” Davis Award
Phi Delta Theta’s General John Kerry J.K. Davis Award is presented to a member of Phi Delta Theta for outstanding service in the defense of liberty as a member of the Armed Forces. Brother Davis, New Mexico ’51, served as Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps and retired as a four-star general of the United States Marine Corps. J.K., served in the Vietnam War, was a naval aviator and served as the Commanding General of the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing. He flew 285 combat hours in Republic of Vietnam (160 at night) and 171 combat missions (100 at night).
Raymond L. Gardner Alumnus of the Year
The Raymond L. Gardner Alumnus of the Year Award is made annually to the Phi Delt alumnus considered by the Gardner Award committee to have made the most significant contribution in three areas: Fraternity service, service to higher education, and community involvement. The award was originated by the Seattle Alumni Club in honor of Raymond L. Gardner, Washington 1918.