Fraternity Flag Adopted1891
In 1889, the recommendation of the Fraternity flower, flag, and cheer was made by chairman W. F. Faegin. At the 1891 Convention, the white carnation was chosen as the floral emblem of Phi Delta Theta, a new design for the fraternity flag was adopted, and a Phi Delta Theta cheer was adopted.
W. B. Palmer submitted a new flag design to the Convention of 1891, which included three horizontal bars, the middle of white and the two outer of blue, each of the latter bearing three white five-pointed stars, making six stars.
In 1896, a change was made to the Fraternity flag so that it would have vertical instead of horizontal bars on the white middle bar. Phi Delta Theta letters were written in blue, reading downward; on each of the outer blue bars, three white five-pointed stars; the bars to be of equal width, and the hoist of the flag on the staff to be two-thirds of the fly. Phi Delta Theta continues to use this design of the flag today.