General Council Votes to Move Central Office Back to Oxford1926
In 1926 the General Council voted to move the Central Office back to Oxford where it drifted between four locations before reaching its destiny at 2 South Campus Avenue.
The south side of a duplex house, 111 South Beech Street, owned by Brother Karl Zwick, Miami 1900, served as the beginning site. The office was located on the first floor; bedrooms on the second floor accommodated the Fraternity professionals. Within a year, arrangements were made to purchase a red brick home at 208 East High Street (Oxford’s main east/west thoroughfare). For the next twenty-one years this building served as the General Headquarters.
Having survived the Great Depression in the 1930s and World War II in the 1940s, Phi Delta Theta’s leaders were ready to undertake a new adventure. That “adventure” was the construction of a building designed specifically to serve the needs of a rapidly growing fraternity.
A property at the south-west corner of Campus and High Streets, less than a block from the existing headquarters was purchased. The house on that lot was the birthplace of Carolyn Scott who married Brother Benjamin Harrison. The property at “208” was sold to, and became the headquarters of, Beta Theta Pi.
The newly purchased house became the temporary office of the Fraternity until it was time to begin construction on the new building. Again, it was necessary to find provisional office space; Headquarters was moved to 18 West Church Street, a short distance away. On December 15, 1947, Admiral Wat Tyler Cluverius, President of the General Council, turned the first shovel of dirt to officially begin work on a project that would be dedicated during the Fraternity’s Centennial Convention.