Kansas City Trophy Introduced1929
The Kansas City Trophy was first presented in 1929 as the Cleveland Trophy and was originally sponsored by the Cleveland Alumni Club. In 1958, sponsorship was taken over by the Kansas City Alumni Club. The trophy is awarded to the most outstanding Phi Delta Theta chapter at a small institution.
Following the success of the introduction of the Harvard Trophy, the Fraternity realized that there were a variety and difference of conditions that exist in the colleges and universities in which there are Phi Delt chapters. It was thought best to change the method of award or to create new trophies for schools with similar conditions. The second method was chosen and the Cleveland Alumni Club awarded a third trophy to be known as ” The Cleveland Trophy.” The point system for the Founders Trophy trophies was exactly the same as that for the Harvard Trophy.
At the time of introduction, the Cleveland Trophy was open for competition among chapters located at institutions with male enrollments fewer than 850.
As expressed by Executive Secretary Priest, “It is the hope of the General Fraternity that through the medium of this trophy, greater excellence may be developed in chapters and a feeling of greater unity grow in the Fraternity.”